We build constructive relationships with the European Commission, Parliament and Council, and work hand-in-hand with the Member States. We hold seats in the Commission’s main stakeholder consultation groups.
We are the secretariat for the Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals. This brings together MEPs from all political groups to debate and learn about these issues, encouraging them to ensure that all EU legislation respects animals and their welfare.
What do we want to achieve?
- A revision of a number of existing basic acts, and the introduction of new secondary legislation where possible.
- New tertiary laws to improve animal welfare outcomes, based where necessary on animal-based indicators. Species to be covered include dairy cows, poultry, equines, fish, beef cattle, dogs and cats. Rules could also cover slaughter and transport.
- Non-legislative initiatives from the Commission to help with the implementation of current law (e.g. the responsible ownership and care of equines, or European strategy for alternatives to animal testing).
- To support programmes and projects to secure meaningful change to new secondary legislative proposals that are examined by the co-legislators during the term, notably those relating to the Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy.
- Push for thorough implementation and enforcement of existing animal welfare-related EU legislation in all Member States.