Part-time position (20 hours/week), based in Brussels
Eurogroup for Animals is the Brussels based European umbrella advocacy organisation, representing 63 national and international members across Europe and beyond. Together we provide a voice for the billions of animals kept in laboratories, farms and homes or living in the wild. Our vision is to build a Europe that truly cares for animals where the well-being of animals is assured and where they experience a good life.
The purpose of Eurogroup for Animals is to drive positive change for animals by convening its members around common goals, and coordinating EU wide action to jointly influence EU laws and policies. Our advocacy portfolio consists of dedicated programmes and a growing portfolio of projects and campaigns.
Our overall objective is to create a favourable climate for animals at an EU level.
Purpose of the role
The Veterinary Adviser – Farm Animals, together with the Senior Veterinary Adviser, is co-responsible for providing scientific input and support to Eurogroup for Animals and its member organisations; for representing Eurogroup for Animals and its members in EU and other relevant fora; and for contributing to strategic and policy making objectives. As our Veterinary Adviser you will (together with the Senior Veterinary Adviser):
- Assist in providing scientific and policy-related input to Eurogroup for Animals and its member organisations on matters of farm animal welfare and across other programmes and projects
- Assist Eurogroup for Animals in exploring innovative opportunities to further (farm) animal welfare
- Actively engage with members to seek their scientific input and expertise as well as their participation and collaboration to Eurogroup for Animals’ activities
- Ensure that Eurogroup for Animals’ positions are up to date and collectively supported
- Monitor developments and uphold overview of animal welfare relevant EU farm animal legislation
- Assist the political and public affairs advisers in updating content for the farm animal lobbying strategy, as required
- Act as a representative for Eurogroup for Animals on Commission’s expert and/or stakeholder platforms as required
- Create and/or update briefings, scientific articles, blog items, and other written content for communication purposes
Does this sound like you?
- Degree in veterinary medicine with a focus on farm animals
- At least 3 years of professional experience
- Strong writing skills (for both specialist and non-specialist audiences) and full proficiency in English plus at least one other EU language
- Excellent interpersonal, representational, and communication skills
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Able to work and engage with the members of Eurogroup for Animals’ network with a service oriented approach, as well as with other relevant stakeholders
- Comfortable with working independently but also willing and able to work constructively and with a positive attitude within a team of highly skilled professionals
- Honest and transparent, with strong work ethics
- Fully committed to Eurogroup for Animals’ goals, mission and role
It’s definitely a plus if you also have :
- Familiarity with, or previous experience in, (farm animal) advocacy or lobbying at national and/or EU level
- Experience in farm animal welfare inspections (on farm, at slaughter, during transport)
- Knowledge of EU institutions and/or as an understanding of EU policies on animal health and animal welfare and animal agriculture
- Postgraduate qualification relevant to farm animal welfare (e.g., postgraduate Certificate or Diploma, Masters’, Ph.D.)
20 hours per week employment contract under Belgian law. Competitive remuneration and benefits package offered.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to this post along with your CV in English by email to Louise Hilditch email@example.com. Please include your salary expectations.