Eurogroup for Animals is the Brussels based European umbrella advocacy organisation, representing 64 national and international members across Europe and beyond. Together we provide a voice for the billions of animals kept in laboratories, farms and homes or living in the wild. Our vision is to build a Europe that truly cares for animals where the well-being of animals is assured and where they experience a good life.
The purpose of Eurogroup for Animals is to drive positive change for animals by convening its members around common goals, and coordinating EU wide action to jointly influence EU laws and policies. Our advocacy portfolio consists of dedicated programmes and a growing portfolio of projects and campaigns.
Our overall objective is to create a favourable climate for animals at an EU level.
Purpose of the role
We are looking for an experienced and skillful advocate with a relevant (scientific) background and a strong drive to improve farm animal welfare at EU level. This farm animal advocate is a team player, an excellent communicator, and very focused on delivering impactful results whilst empowering others and managing a broad farm animal welfare portfolio.
The role straddles two main areas set out below:
Strategy and Project Management
- Develop, lead the execution of, evaluate and adjust where necessary Eurogroup for Animals’ farm animal welfare strategy.
- Coordinate and supervise our small farm animal team in the development of their issue/species advocacy strategies and the delivery of their individual objectives under the farm animal welfare strategy, with an emphasis on increasing the quality and impact of our deliverables and our programmes.
- Build and maintain a farm animal welfare community among Eurogroup’s members.
- Advise on and execute lobby and campaign strategies
- Lead the team’s farm animal lobbying in coordination with the senior veterinary advisor and the political team.
- Together with the farm animal team members, represent Eurogroup for Animals towards EU Institutions, international fora, scientific congresses and Member State events including a.o. delivering high-level speeches/public interventions.
- Keep abreast of, and empower the team with the latest farm animal welfare scientific developments, EU farming legislation and policy, in coordination with the senior veterinary advisor and the political team.
- Actively contribute to Eurogroup for Animal’s communication efforts to promote the animal advocacy movement’s successes through our communications
To excel in this role, our new colleague would need the following skills and knowledge:
- Strong and demonstrable background in farm animal welfare science, animal science, veterinary medicine or related fields
- In-depth understanding of the main farm animal welfare issues and animal advocacy strategies
- Basic understanding of the EU institutions
- Fluency in English and at least another EU language
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent oral presentation skills
- Excellent English writing skills
- Experience and motivation to coordinate a small team of highly skilled professionals
- Strong strategic, conceptual and analytical skills
- Commitment towards Eurogroup for Animals’ goals, mission and role
It would be great if you also had:
- Postgraduate qualification in a field relevant to farm animal welfare
- Knowledge of and experience with EU advocacy
- Previous professional experience in advocacy and/or in a farm animal welfare environment.
- Previous work experience in a member-based organisation
- Knowledge of current global farm animal welfare issues
Full-time (38 hours) per week employment contract under Belgian law. Competitive remuneration and benefits package offered.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to this post along with your CV in English by email to Louise Hilditch firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 November 2019. Please include an indication of your salary expectations.