Have you met Animais de Rua?
Animais de Rua is an organisation that helps thousands of stray animals, neutering them so they don’t reproduce, providing medical care when they are sick, and feeding them. We promote peaceful coexistence between animals and people, respecting both animal welfare and public health.
The problem of too many stray animals in Portugal is a reality. Animal rescue and shelter organisations (which are important and are needed to help animals that already exist) do not have the financial or human resources to address the fundamental problem of hundreds of thousands of homeless dogs and cats that continue to breed.
These animals live without access to basic health care, sufficient food, shelter or comfort, and are victims of hunger, disease and abuse, condemned to short and sad lives.
Animais de Rua was created precisely to try to alleviate the suffering of these animals and to prevent others from being born in the same conditions.
We direct our efforts and resources not only towards promoting the welfare of animals but also towards protecting public health and the safety and comfort of people.
Animais de Rua is also a DGERT-certified training provider. Our training courses are essential for improving animal welfare and raising public awareness. These contents are aimed at local authorities and organisations in Portugal, to help both staff and animals in municipal and private shelters.
There is an urgent need to ensure accreditation and make sure that all municipalities and organisations are governed by the same animal welfare guidelines.
Animais de Rua was founded in Porto (headquarters). Nowadays, we have nationwide representation, throughout continental Portugal and in São Miguel in the Azores.
I am an environmental activist and animal rights advocate. I joined Animais de Rua in 2009 and since then have contributed to the organisation’s growth and success.
Until 2019, I was responsible for coordinating the association’s hubs and educational coordination and project management at national level, and in 2020 I became CEO of Animais de Rua.
We joined Eurogroup for Animals in 2019 upon invitation, following interviews with Portuguese associations.
Our main goals for 2022 are:
- To continue our effective and efficient Trap, Neuter, Release (TNR) campaigns, throughout the country, seeking to reach the interior, where our help is most needed.
- To publish our third children's book, an essential part of our educational project in order to raise awareness among children, visiting schools and reading our stories to the students, thus transmitting the values of compassion and respect for animals’ lives.
- Animais de Rua is a DGERT-certified training provider and hopes to become a national reference in animal welfare training.
Animais de Rua relies on the contributions of people and institutions that share our vision and believe in the importance of our work to defend and protect animals. Any help is welcome!
- Become a volunteer : if you love animals and have some free time, come and join us! We have different types of volunteering and tasks available, both on the ground and remotely.
- Visit our shop: We offer attractive and useful items for sale and all profits go to support our work throughout the country.
- Become our Friend: for as little as 3€ per month, you can subscribe to Animais de Rua's Friend Card and help us help more animals. The annual card gives you discounts and special deals with many animal-friendly companies that support our work.
- Make a donation: you can sponsor the sterilisation or medical treatment of an animal through Animais de Rua's account: IBAN PT50 0065 0921 0020 1240 0093 1; SWIFT/BIC: BESZPTPL (contact email@example.com)
- Become a Member: if you wish to become a member of Animais de Rua, please contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us: contribute to our work by calling 760 300 161 (0,60€ + VAT)
I don't question our existence. I just question our modern needs.” - Eddie Vedder