2021 has been an extraordinary year, both in terms of the challenges it has posed and the wealth of opportunities to advance our work for animal protection in Europe and beyond.
Dive into our Annual Report 2021 and discover the highlights of the year and the major advances for animals:
- The European Commission promised to phase out caged farming for animals following the successful 'End the Cage Age' European Citizens Initiative.
- The 'No Animal Left Behind' campaign closed with almost 200,000 supporters standing up for a better future for all farm animals in Europe.
- The European Parliament voted in favour of a comprehensive plan to phase-out experiments on animals.
- 1 million citizens asked the European Commission to ban the use of wild animals in circuses.
- The EU Parliament adopted an ambitious report on the EU Biodiversity Strategy.
- During a Council meeting in June 2021, twelve Member States called on the European Commission to investigate the possibility for an EU ban on fur farming based on animal welfare, public health and ethical considerations.
Representatives of 193 UN member states will meet at the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) to discuss policies to address the world’s most pressing environmental challenges. Unfortunately, food systems aren’t a focus, this time, even though farming and the eating of animals is a leading contributor to the global climate crisis. We signed ProVeg's joint letter to UNEA President Espen Barthe Eide and UN Environment Programme Executive Director Inger Andersen asking them to take a stronger lead in promoting less resource-intensive diets together with 154 other NGOs.
Eurogroup for Animals provides a voice for the billions of animals kept in laboratories, farms and homes, and for those living in the wild. We drive positive change by working with our members to identify common goals and coordinate EU-wide action to influence laws and policies that offer higher standards of animal protection. Learn more about the organisation in this introductory brochure.
Receive our Magazine
Hi! Thank you for your interest in us.
Want to know more or stay updated?
Please subscribe to our Magazine.