Full-time position, based in Brussels
Eurogroup for Animals is the Brussels based European umbrella advocacy organisation, representing 64 national and international members across Europe and beyond. Together we provide a voice for the billions of animals kept in laboratories, farms and homes or living in the wild. Our vision is to build a Europe that truly cares for animals where the well-being of animals is assured and where they experience a good life.
The purpose of Eurogroup for Animals is to drive positive change for animals by convening its members around common goals, and coordinating EU wide action to jointly influence EU laws and policies. Our advocacy portfolio consists of dedicated programmes and a growing portfolio of projects and campaigns.
Our overall objective is to create a favourable climate for animals at an EU level. Our companion animals programme (which covers species that are routinely kept for the primary purpose of companionship, namely conventional pets and equidae) is a key component of our overall advocacy efforts and is actively supported by a significant number of our members. Read more about our work on companion animals in our 2017 annual report.
Purpose of the role
The Programme Leader’s role is to deliver impactful results in the field of companion animal welfare whilst mobilising and servicing involved members behind agreed lobby objectives.
The role is spread across policy/strategy, communication and advocacy
- Draft, coordinate and execute strategy/strategies, programmes and projects to improve the protection of companion animals at EU level
- Contribute to member engagement and the cultivation of potential members relevant to the companion animal dossiers
- Secure excellent relationships with relevant Member Organisations whilst ensuring inclusive lobbying and campaigning
- Maintain and further cultivate a network of external stakeholders
- Organise and manage several internal working groups
- Identify advocacy opportunities by researching and exploring EU legislation
- Enhance and coordinate the activities of Member Organisations serving EU advocacy goals
- Prepare and deliver effective, persuasive speeches and presentations
- Represent Eurogroup for Animals in relevant political, technical and scientific fora
- University degree in biology, zoology, veterinary science,ethology, law or political science or similar
- At least 5 years professional experience either in an EU institution or in an organization seeking to influence (companion) animal welfare EU policy
- Good knowledge of the EU institutions and policy making process
- Demonstrable project and group management skills
- The ability to think laterally and strategically in order to exploit opportunities creatively
- A sound understanding of animal health and welfare policy issues relating to the keeping, trade, usage and breeding of companion animals in particular cats, dogs, horses and donkeys
- Result oriented, outgoing personality with good oral and written communication skills
- A good command of the English language – additional knowledge of other EU languages is an asset
- Flexible and pragmatic
38 hours per week, unlimited employment contract under Belgian law. Competitive remuneration and benefits package offered.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to this post along with your CV in English (Word format) by email to Louise Hilditch firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th September 2018. Please include your salary expectations.